Back Home

Wow! Surgery is done! Everything went really well, except that they gave me Ringer's Lactate which spiked my blood sugar. They had to keep me in recovery until about 4:00 pm, about 6 hours, trying to get my blood sugar to come down. Finally, they brought me to my room and I just kind of passed out. Mom stayed for a bit, but she was exhausted so she left around 6:00.

The next morning I got up and started walking around 5:00 am. I had a little bit of pain after surgery, but it never got worse than a 3. Yesterday, I had no pain at all. I have soreness, and getting in and out of bed was a challenge. I spent most of the day sitting in the chair, getting up to take walks occasionally. I did really well getting fluids in. I am supposed to get a minimum of 48 oz but to shoot for 64 or more ounces. I managed to get 57oz.

Because they were still trying to get my blood sugar down before releasing me, I didn't get to go home until about 6:00 pm last night. I came home, got to watch most of the hockey game and then passed out on the couch. I slept really well.

Today I have been feeling pretty great. I dozed a little this afternoon, but also was able to go upstairs and take a shower. I am working on my liquids, but did manage to drink a protein shake too. It's kind of weird to not feel hungry at all, and I am very glad that I have not felt sick. I honestly can't believe how good I have felt.


My special t-shirt to wear to surgery.

One of my incisions.

Another shirt to go home.


Comments